TECHNET Archives

February 2010

From:
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 2010 16:21:18 -0600
You have it right for most of the laser soldering systems on the market, except the best one. This was designed and developed by myself and Joshua Muonio and Gary Johnson of Analog Technologies, and we had an outside integrator build it for us. It resides at Analog, and they are getting ready to OEM the machine. This machine rotates up to 360 degrees around the object being lased, has programmable power, pulse length, movement while lasing (can be varied during individual or sets of laser steps), programmable focal spot size, and so many bells and whistles I don't have room here to mention them all.
Analog uses it for laser re-balling, original solder ball solder attachment, flex attachment, soldering of components that cannot withstand reflow temperatures, soldering of EMF shielding fences and cans, and many other applications. The machine can handle up to four energy sources simultaneously (for UV curing, Infrared preheating, and secondary lasers for marking or welding applications, for example).
We have used this machine to develop the best re-balling process possible, one that does not heat the component package by more than 1 deg. C during ball attachment.
Contact Analog about their laser re-balling and contract assembly services at  www.analog-tech.com .
Read about laser re-balling here http://circuitsassembly.com/cms/magazine/209/7193 .

Not sure why you wish to use laser to solder a 15mm sq. BGA to the board. It can be done, but the laser has to be directed through the package.