TECHNET Archives

February 2010

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2010 09:00:05 -0600
Having written most of both, let me give it a shot.

5704 gives you recommended cleanliness requirements for bare/unpopulated
printed circuit boards as measured by ion chromatography.  It essentially
duplicates Delphi's C-7000 cleanliness specification that has worked well
for over a decade.  It does not claim that if your boards meet these
levels that they will be good for all processes, all applications, all end
environments, for ever and ever, Amen.  But, it is a darn good place to
start until your own testing tells you better.  Certainly a vast
improvement over ROSE.

5702 was written to give guidance to OEMs guidance on determining how
clean boards and assemblies need to be for their applications.  Meant more
for general education.

Both brilliantly written.  Must now type one handed as I have dislocated
my shoulder patting myself on the back.  In reality, both documents were
significantly improved through the inputs of the 5-32c and 5-32a IPC
working groups.

Doug Pauls
Rockwell Collins
Delusional Engineer

"Glidden, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
02/01/2010 08:51 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
"Glidden, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[TN] IPC-5702 / IPC-5704

Happy Monday everyone.....

Can anyone comment on how the newly released IPC-5704 ""Cleanliness
Requirements for Unpopulated Printed Boards" and the 2007 release of
IPC-5702 "Guidelines for OEMs in Determining Acceptable Levels of
Cleanliness of Unpopulated Printed Boards" are meant to work together?
I've not yet read the new 5704, so this is just a general inquiry......

Thanks!
Kevin