TECHNET Archives

February 2010

From:
Chris Mahanna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Chris Mahanna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:39:17 -0500
Inge,
I've been working on a similar project for a customer recently.  Ni is full of voids, not as spongy as yours, but weird (to me, I have no expertise in plating).  The surface is really rough.  Au measurements on the bare boards is proving very difficult.  FIB mill/SEM yields 1 microinch Au, microsection/SEM yields 2, XRF says 4-5.  Then 2nd pass reflow leaves Au behind, don't chalk all that Au up to the sputter.  We use Pt sputter just to be safe.

Your solderability problem may be simpler-  11% P

As for electrical malfunction, heck yes.  Although, usually only on the corner balls, unless the corner balls are cratering and the inward ball joints are cracked/non-wet.  We get a lot of these FAs because you can't see them except in the microsection.

Chris