TECHNET Archives

February 2010

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:17:52 -0600
Kevin,
I am not a PCB designer either, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express
last night.

I have no doubt that the files you tried to use were the originals from
when the B-24 was designed in the early 90s.  To accurately import, you
would need an inkpot and goose feather quill pen.

This last year, Mr. Graham Naisbitt, Gen3 Systems Ltd in the UK, desired
to have the outside dimensions of the contact finger area reduced to fit
the only known edge card connector to fit the board.  He had the Gerber
files for the board re-done and so the Gerber files may be more amenable
to modern software import.  I can send them to you if you like and see if
that works.   I know that GC-Preview is able to read the files OK.  This
would be the IPC-B-24 Rev B board.

I have copied John Perry on this response and John, being a Grand Moff in
the Cleaning and Coating Empire, may be able to get the updated version
out and can the older versions.

As with most of the IPC test boards, it is lacking in a formal drawing, at
least the kind that we are used to.  I have tried to get my boss to spring
for our drafting department to make one, but she is one of those
responsible/ethical managers and budgets are pretty darn tight right now.
Perhaps next year.

Doug Pauls

"Glidden, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
02/22/2010 10:23 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
"Glidden, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[TN] Reading IPC-B-24 data issues

Good Morning,

I will preface this with a statement that I am not a PCB designer, and I
do not run the PCB design software we use.

That being said, I am attempting to have IPC-B-24 PCBs made by our PCB
vendor instead of buying them off-the-shelf.

I purchased the IPC-A-24G artwork direct from IPC, and it came on a disc.
Two PCB houses and the stencil house have all responded it is unreadable.

The disc has ZIP file with the following:
IPC-A-24G Master Drawing (PDF).  This indicates original design was done
by Magnavox in 1990.
Dcb24l01
Dcb24lst
cd2401.gbr
dc24lst.gbr
Aperture.txt

My PCB people are telling me the files won't even auto-import (automatic
format detection) into CAM software.

Has anyone else run into this issue and know a solution?

Thanks,

Kevin Glidden