TECHNET Archives

February 2010

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:50:06 -0500
Here is the Lattice doc on lead and lead-free parts
http://www.latticesemi.com/lit/docs/technotes/tn1076.pdf

And here's Analog Devices
http://www.analog.com/en/quality-and-reliability/adi-pb-free/content/leadpbfree_rohs_compliance_status_and_plans/fca.html

Note what they say:

 Terminal Finish. Based on input from our customer base, ADI is offering Pb Free plating (matte Sn and Au) for volume applications. A post Sn plating ("anneal") bake - one hour at 150'C within 24 hours of plating - has been implemented across ADI assembly sites starting with EIA date code 0522 (May 29-June 4, 2005). Implementation has been supported by no change in fit, form, or function of ADI devices and no degradation in solderability.

SnPb plating is being offered for device types currently available with SnPb finish; however, our suppliers continue to pressure us to migrate away from SnPb plating in favor of Pb Free solutions.

Sn whisker test data collected to date using JEDEC JESD22A121 test conditions indicates whisker lengths meet the JEDEC JESD201 criteria and class ratings of 2, 1, and 1a. For more information, refer to the Tin Whisker Report available at this site. ADI continues to monitor the progress of industry task forces and the recommendations of other industry organizations and will make any updates through this web site.

ADI is also selectively adding a Sn3.0Ag0.5Cu solder ball device type for BGA product. Because of concerns about the forward/backward compatibility of SnPb and Sn/Ag/Cu solder spheres under high and low reflow temperatures, we continue to offer SnPb solder spheres as well. We have also qualified SnAgCu solder spheres for WLCSP/Bumped Die products.

Bob Landman