IPC-600-6012 Archives

February 2010

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Mahanna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:48:27 -0500
Good Friday afternoon,

As most of you are aware, a couple years ago D-33/7-31a ask 1-10C to focus on the traditional 2221 conformance coupons.
Today you will not hear a sorry plead from me to transition to the wonderful A/B-R.

We are moving on to the "C", "N" and "P".

First, a little background:  In Phoenix, I presented a plan to "clean-up" the 2221 coupon design list.  Lofty goals were presented- e.g. better coupons, harmonization, standardization.
1-10C plans to present a complete proposed set to 2221 in Vegas.

Please don't get too excited, the "old" coupons will still be defined, and unless a performance body decides otherwise, they will still be acceptable.

For what I've termed "the short list", we are currently suggesting that the C, N, and P be collapsed into the P.

I know that some people use the C for plating adhesion rather than actual product, and I know that 4101 will require the use of 0.79mm strips (actually not on the N either) for condition C.  Some people surely have the N in their 31032 program.
But, by and large, the only mandate for an elongated trace is the military 3.15mm sample- the P coupon.  We are suggesting that it is a (2221) "short-list" entry conditioned on foil-lam builds only.

We are currently seeking feedback pro or con.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Chris