TECHNET Archives

January 2010

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2010 08:34:20 -0600
Hi Mumtaz! I have a couple of questions and a couple of comments. Have you
run a solderability test per JSTD-002 Test Method S and if so what was the
result(s)? Has the customer been using that specific flux on these
components in the past successfully? A couple of things to consider - (1)
Pd is has a very slow diffusion rate (a couple orders of magnitude lower
than gold) and increasing the reflow profile by 5C can make a significant
difference; (2) NiPdAu surface finishes can have some flux sensitivity. I
have found some fluxes that are less robust to NiPdAu surface finishes
than others. Good Luck.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Mumtaz Bora <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
01/12/2010 04:56 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Mumtaz Bora <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[TN] NiPdGold Plating Soldering Issues

Hello Technetters,

We have some SC70 packages with NiPd gold plating that have wetting
issues .
Customer is using Kester R596L tinlead water soluble solder paste
conducting  eutectic reflow at 227C peak and have wetting issues.(first
3 images in PowerPoint).
We have checked plating thickness with our supplier and it meets spec.
EDX did not show any contamination, oxides etc. JEDEC solderability test
passed.

X-section shows some areas of missing nickel or gaps in coverage of base
copper. I need the experts to look at the images and comment if this
could be the root cause of poor wetting and non-wetting.

I have forwarded the PowerPoint to Steven Gregory to post on his
website.

Your feedback will be much appreciated.

Thank-you

Mumtaz Bora