TECHNET Archives

January 2010

From:
Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 2010 08:33:10 -0800
At 07:55 AM 1/4/2010, Randy wrote:
>Can someone please help me break my paradigm with "filling vias in
>process with solder"?  I have difficulty seeing how this works.

I think I posted that -- didn't suggest it was easy or say anything
about variability.  Just sayin' it's done by some.

>How do
>you ensure consistent, predictable solder fill in thermal vias during
>assembly?  If inconsistent, then you really can't count on it to be there
>since any time it's not there you'll pay for it.
>
>If by some chance you can get solder to fill all vias completely, then
>how do you avoid solder flowing out the opposite end of the vias?

Preventing s/m from flowing out the bottom is the easy part.
Make the soldermask opening 1:1 with drill size  or just a mil or two
over drill size. That will effectively foul the s/m flow out of the
hole yet allow venting so gasses escaping the via don't void up into
solder joint on other side.

aka Solder mask "cheater via" or "tentbreaker"