TECHNET Archives

January 2010

From:
Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2010 09:14:35 -0600
Those numbers look like what I've seen calculated as well.
The solder doesn't add much to the conductivity through the board, but where the solder is needed, sometimes, is to fill the air gap/make the connection from the heat slug in the bottom of the IC to the copper via pattern on the board.
So what we have found is not to worry about via fill, but to try to avoid allowing all the solder to drain away from that interface between the IC and the board, down the holes.

Genny