TECHNET Archives

January 2010

From:
John Goulet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2010 00:21:40 +0000
I agree pad size is very important. I've worked these issues several times and know there are several things to check.

1. The flux application must be correct and no skips.

2.  The temperature profile must not be too hot and prematurely burn off all the flux before it gets to the chip wave especially for No-clean fluxes.

3.   Many people slow the conveyor speed to achieve more contact time to reduce the skips without reducing  the temperatures of the preheaters.

4.  Many companies don't allow the time needed to PM the chip wave as soon as gaps appear across the chip wave. There are two types of chip waves from one vendor. The older type had the oscillating plate with holes which tend to plug up from dross under the plate. The newer rotary chips waves are better but still need maintenance and there are three metal connecting pieces across the slot to keep the curve plate parallel but these interrupt a continuous flow. This effect can be minimized with proper wave height so that the solder touches the board and flattens out widening the coverage.

5.  What happens frequently is that the operator will lower the wave heights if bridges occur because they are more noticeable than coverage to a test point and the pressure is on to get the boards through the wave process.

6. Another factor is when t here is a shadow effect  from taller SMT parts epoxied to the bottom of the PCA.

 Another factor is shadowing or contamination from liquid solder mask, used to cover enig mounting holes or mounting holes, for parts to be assembled after wave solder. If any of the mask ran onto the test points which extends to PCBs solder mask then it will not solder. These test points will solder with a solder iron, because there is a very thin  layer, basically contamination,  which is wiped off by the tip of the solder iron tip.

  John Goulet

 MFG/Process Engineer