TECHNET Archives

January 2010

From:
"Brooks, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brooks, Bill
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 2010 18:04:31 -0800
Actually in this previous example I changed the thickness of the board to .0625 because that is the most common.... however I think in our case we were using the .008 mil via as the target size so we went with a .031 thick board because of the aspect ratio of the finished hole to make it more manufacturable...

So when I just now changed the board thickness to .031 I get the following results...

.014 drilled hole... 2 oz copper, .031 thick = 7.65 °C/W
With solder fill = 7.53 °C/W

.011 drilled hole... 1 oz copper, .031 thick = 17.71 °C/W
With solder fill = 17.08 °C/W

The numbers are more representative of a real example...

So if you used an array of them they would act like resistors in parallel.. you could reduce the thermal resistance from a device soldered to the top to the bottom ... note the difference in the thicker wall plating in the vias...

Bill Brooks | Datron World Communications, Inc.
PCB Designer/Engineer | Office: 760-602-7004| Fax: 760-597-3777 | [log in to unmask]
1808 Aston Avenue, Suite 230, Carlsbad, CA 92008 | www.dtwc.com

Performance You Require. Value You ExpectTM