TECHNET Archives

January 2010

From:
Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:50:29 -0800

>question regarding plated closed vias: I have the same concern Paul just
>mentioned. Is there not a reliability concern with trapped contaminants in
>the via when plating closed? I stopped spec-ing minus tol same as via dia.
>because of this.

Yes.  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

However, there are some very few fabs now who've managed to adapt the
new-fangled filled copper uVia processes (e.g. Shipley's uFill) to
fill small thru vias completely and reliably.