TECHNET Archives

January 2010

From:
Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 08:45:01 -0800
Yes, it's is one of several metals used to alloy for harder cast
bullets. It's standard in lead wheelweights (which happen to be a
favorite Pb source for the do it yourself caster).  Appropriate
bullet hardness is a function of pressures for a given load. Hardness
is a Goldilocks problem for the cast boolit loader.

Too soft and leading occurs at some higher velocity.
Too hard and the boolit base doesn't obturate to form a seal as it
travels through the barrel. That allows gases to escape up the lands
and flamecut the slug (leaving lead in the bore).
There are a variety of methods for coping with higher pressures and
velocities.  Hardness can be increased by alloying and water
quenching. Metal gas checks (Cu or Al) can be swaged to the boolit
base. Some hard core old school loaders paper patch their cast boolit
cartridges (which has the advantage of lapping/polishing their bores).

almost certainly on a DHS list somewhere... >:-}

dw

Not me but wish I was their
neighbor...  http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26559