LEADFREE Archives

January 2010

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:31:20 -0500
Chris,

TSCA (US toxic substances control ) is up for renewal this year.  http://www.epa.gov/lawsregs/laws/tsca.html

The Toxic Substances Control Act of 1976 provides EPA with authority to require reporting, record-keeping and testing requirements, and restrictions relating to chemical substances and/or mixtures.  Certain substances are generally excluded from TSCA, including, among others, food, drugs, cosmetics and pesticides.

I am watching TSCA very closely.  I am a member of PERM participating in the Communications, Advocacy and Supplier task teams).  While officially I can't speak for the membership, I know many members are very concerned that any new US legislation does not echo the flaws in RoHS. Certainly not until we have a certified equal or better replacement for lead and brominated flame retardant chemicals that needed in pcb mfg for high rel/mil/aerospace applications.

Bob Landman
H&L Instruments,LLC