LEADFREE Archives

January 2010

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 2010 17:55:19 -0500
According to this EU article, manufacturers have successfully
transitioned from halogenated and pthalate containing pc boards
without any difficulty.

Is this true?

Are the new boards flame retardant?

Do they survive multiple passes at lead-free soldering temperatures?

What about delamination?

What about pad cratering?

Other issues?

Knowing the EU and how the major manufacturers suck up as they do not
seem to be concerned about products surviving past their warranty
period,
I highly doubt this report is factual.

I would appreciate comments from those who have more than one year of
experience with these new board materials.

Do they pass the UL flame and smoke tests?

What other tests are they certified to pass?

Have the tests been altered so these new board materials can pass?

What are the life cycle testing -55C to +125C - results?

-40C to +85C life cycle testing results?

Shock?

Vibration?

How many layers?  (at least 24?)

Will the Airbus avionics be using these new board materials and if so
when?

Bob Landman
H&L Instruments, LLC

Sent from my iPhone