LEADFREE Archives

January 2010

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Jean-Paul Clech <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:06:10 -0500

Hello Dennis,
Some lead-free solders have been in use in niche,  electronic applications
(e.g. eutectic SnBi, SnAg) for a long-time, way  before politicians got
involved.
The driving factors were soldering hierarchy (SnBi has a low melting
point) or high temperature environment (e.g. SnAg under the hood). In cases i am
familiar with, most did their reliability homework before taking the
plunge. In one instance, the prevalent methodology had been: "it looks good, we
can ship", which resulted in field failures.

All the best,
Jean-Paul

In a message dated 1/19/2010 3:45:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,