TECHNET Archives

December 2009

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 2009 20:36:45 +0000
Hi Techies

This is a topic that has arisen previously and I herewith copy a rather useful input that is attributable to Brian Ellis:

Silcones and BGA: (However, not dissimilar conditions may be applicable to other types of coatings although their TCE's are normally lower)

TCE of silicones are huge at ~300-350ppm/°C
solder is only ~16 ppm/°C
They have a unique property that however soft they feel, they are rock-hard when subjected to mechanical shock (hence super-bouncing balls and bouncing putty)
At only slightly elevated temperatures there would be tension on a BGA-ball-pad combination, that would increase by orders of magnitude should it be subjected to a small shock at the same time

In short, it would be unadvisable to coat underneath such components if they are to be used in harsh environments.

Hope this helps

Graham Naisbitt
Gen3 Systems
www.gen3systems.com