TECHNET Archives

December 2009

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 21:31:58 +0100
Louis,
the second law of Einstein is a thermodynamic occurance, does not imply on
the spinning of the PWB question. think you mean his THIRD law.It simply
says that each reaction is followed by counter reaction. "Newton's Third Law
of Motion. You've probably heard it before -- this law states that for every
action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. It simply means that for
every interaction between two objects, a pair of forces is working on both
of them. " When Pradeep's board starts spinning, it's exposed to an
acceleration, i.e. a force makes the PWB to move faster and faster. As long
as the input force is there, it goes on moving faster. It's accelerating.
When no further force is applied, there will be a equilibrium between the
input force (e.g.the spinning motor) and the counterforces (bearing
friction, air friction etc) and there is no longer an acceleration, BUT,
there is still a radial force, which is constant.  Here comes the energy
into picture. It's the product of mass and velocity. And it increases with
the square of velocity. So, that's why I mentioned the starting condition of
Pradeep's monster apparatus. We have to condtions. The first is a dynamic
one and the other a static one. Now, someone else may explain in math terms,
I've forgotten most since decades. Maybe Brian, who  is kind of universal
genious (extreme flattering) can give you a hand.
/Inge