TECHNET Archives

December 2009

From:
Russell Nowland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Russell Nowland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:51:04 -0600
Juan,

All I can say is life is not easy and manufacturing electronics is not simple.
That is why God created engineers.  By following your plan you are putting
your products and customers at risk.  The IPC J-STD-033x is the end user
guide for handling MSD components.  This spec is written around the
requirement in J-STD-020x which is the device qualification spec.  The J-020
committee is based mostly of device manufacturers and reliability engineers
whose task was to resolve real/proven reliability concerns.  The risks are real
and you could be sending time bombs to your customers.  It is kind of the
equivalent of not wearing ESD protection.  You never know when you have
damaged a device that will fail in time in the field.  I audit all of my suppliers
to the letter of the spec.  That is my only assurance that I am protecting my
products and customers.

Is the spec overcompensating? I am sure it is a little but that is necessary to
insure nothing slips through.  Is it overcompensating a lot?  No, it is in the
industries best interest to make manufacturing as simple as possible.

Your Baking at 125C for 24 hours is an old catchall that has been proven
wrong.  You baking for 192 hours at 40C is barely touching the charts.

If I was to audit your operation this would be a major finding.  I agree MSD is
a complex operation and it requires a good understanding of the specifics by
the engineers and likewise the development of a robust process.

There are some good sources of information on the web and there are some
good systems out there that can help you track your exposures and baking.  I
have also seen a lot of home grown systems that work pretty good.  One of
the better off the shelf systems (not cheap though) is with a company call
Cogiscan.  They also have some helpful information on there website in
their "Knowledgebase".

http://www.cogiscan.com/index_en.php

I hope this helps,

Russell Nowland
Alcatel-Lucent
Advanced Manufacturing Engineer
Address: 14000 Quail Spring Parkway, Suite 300 Oklahoma City, OK 73134
email: [log in to unmask]
Desk: 405-302-1660
Cell: 405-203-0034
Fax: 405-302-1622