TECHNET Archives

December 2009

From:
Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:06:23 -0600
 I'm still not sure if that relates to Inge's original question, but
more rather to what Richard was talking about testing every batch
received.
If you are preparing a material declaration report for an entire product
(something that has taken me up to 6 months to compile, even when I am
not doing my own testing but relying on material declarations submitted
by manufacturers), with hundreds or thousands of parts on it, and you
use 5 different values of the exact same resistor series from the same
manufacturer, (for quibbling we'll say they are all ERJ-2RKF series
resistors from Panasonic, values of 1K, 10K, 100 ohm, and 2K2)  would
you get samples tested of every value and have a completely separate
material breakdown report for each value within a series?
Or would you use the material declaration format that Panasonic provided
where the report is for ERJ-2RKF@@@@X, where the @@@@ is the value?
The total mass of the part is 0.65 mg.  The report gives chemical masses
to 6 decimal points of a mg.  The resistive element itself is .005879
mg.

How much are these values going to change from value to value within a
series?

In my mind, this is a completely separate activity from the testing done
on a batch by batch basis to make sure that the critical plating
parameters of each batch of a product still meets spec.  Or would you
completely retest all parts for all materials and re-write the complete
material declaration for each batch of a product?  I can see redoing it
if any supplier or component changes, but just updating that supplier or
component, not completely retesting and rewriting the report for all
unchanged components as well.

I am starting to realize why governments can spend 5 million on a toilet
plunger.  I don't think I have the patience to manufacture products for
the military.

Genny