TECHNET Archives

December 2009

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 21:38:45 -0500
I have no problem posting my reply to Inge for all of TechNet.  However, I am far from an environmental expert, and that is not my day job. I think John Sharp is a much better observer ot what is coming.   However, I do think there is a change coming in environmental regulation and we need to be prepared.  The PERM lead-free attachment for DoD, DoE, and others interested in long-life, harsh environment electronics is stripped off.  I can send that to anyone who wants that presentation - just off line.

Here is what I sent Inge off TechNet this morning:

Inge -

I am not sure I completely understand your question, but will try to give a bit of background from my own experience.

You label the inquiry "RoHS burden", but then ask questions that I am not sure relate.  You talk about forbidden materials - implying this is more than a RoHS requirement (just 6 forbidden).  Is this more a REACh issue?  Worse yet, does your requirement sound like a "full disclosure" effort - tell me completely everything in this component - something like:

73% copper for the component leads
4 % tin for the plated tin on the leads
9% for the polyester polymer in the dielectric in the capacitor
3% barium 3% titanium 3% oxygen for the barium titanate in the capacitor layer
2% acrylic polymer X in the paint/enamal on the outside of the resistor body.

There is a push to be ready for REACh and its forthcoming cousins (California Green Chemicals Act in California) by getting "full disclosure" on every piece of everything going into an assembly.  Maybe this will be just ingredients of more than 1%, or perhaps 0.1% - a bit like food ingredient lists on the package now.

Or, is Boeing working from some list - say the "Substitute It Now - SIN" list that is proposed for restriction by "Green" NGOs - Greenpeace, World Wildlife Fund, etc.  I know a person here in the US who is compiling a "list of lists" that now has over 900 substances (with their Chemical Abstracts System - CAS) numbers so we all know exactly what specific chemical is being regulated.  I think this list is compiled from like 29 other lists - REACh, California Green Chemicals, China RoHS, etc.

What I am asking is - are you to report everything in your components, or are you matching up to some list of forbidden ingredients?

Also, I have membership to the Aerospace Industries Association where some of this is being discussed in their REACh committee (ought to be called the Environmentally Restricted Substances Committee).  They have started a process for thinking about a standardized way to deal with anything that may get restricted, due to environmental concerns.   It will probably be modelled after the AIA - Pb-free Electronics Risk Management committee (PERM).  I have attached a file where I reported on PERM to the IPC last September.

Denny Fritz