TGASIA Archives

December 2009

TGAsia@IPC.ORG

From:
Jackson Chan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Asia Committe Task Group Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jackson Chan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 2009 11:12:36 +0800

Dear all,

Recently, I have the discussion with the customer on the specification of

solder ball especially at the region between the leads of IC.

Referring to IPC-A-610D, section 5.2.6.1

It states that ˇ§solder balls do not violate minimum electrical clearanceˇ¨

It came out the question on what is ˇ§minimum electrical clearanceˇ¨ and "how

to relate the solder ball (in terms of size and distance) to this minimum

electrical clearance"

IPC-2221 has the minimum electrical spacing under different voltage. For

typical voltage 0 - 15V, it is 0.13mm min.   Should we use 0.13mm (minimum

electrical conductor spacing) to define minimum electrical clearance stated

in the solder ball requirement per clause 5.2.6.1 of IPC-A-610D ?

Hope IPC and experts here to elaborate the solder ball requirement here.

Regards,

Jackson