DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2009

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Wolfe, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:00:07 -0500
Joe
I would say it really is of the above and then some. It can include all of the CAD data files, how they are controlled, archived etc. also. It actually includes the documentation that controls all the documentation. Those documents/specs that define the process usually fall doc control too.
Certainly there are different levels of and requirements for documentation depending on what your product is, ie Healthcare, Automotive Telecommunications, etc.
But it would certainly include any and all documentation
required/deemed needed to define a product sufficiently to be produced accurately and per
standards relating to that product, along with all of the documentation needed to make changes to it
through to its end of life.
After Engineering produces documentation (usually there is a documentation group/person within Engineering
that controls all this documentation) Manufacturing, Test, etc will also create or add to this pile of documentation and control some of it also, but the process involved usually is basically
the same whether test, manufacturing, assembly, etc. produced that documentation for the product.
I guess one could break it down for names sake to the department that produced the documentation,
and I guess I am very generally using the term "Engineering Documentation", usually there is an overall
Documentation Group within companies that in many cases is under the Engineering Departments' control.
Documenting "Electronic Assemblies" however does present some unique challenges for these systems.
One complaint about Electronic Assemblies is "Reference Designators" in Oracle
& SAP you cannot get all of them for a particular part number to display together with the part number/description all in "one screen" or menu while in the system, yes you can print a report that way but not for easy screen viewing. Or maybe you can, but the company is just not willing to pay to customize it to that level?

Bob