TECHNET Archives

November 2009

From:
stephengregory5849 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, stephengregory5849 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 2009 16:08:40 -0500
Hi Werner,

Of course you're correct. I've always referred to Sn96Ag4 solder incorrectly as "Sn96".

Also something that I did not think about until you brought it up, is the -40C environment. Tin pest starts to occur at temperatures below 13.2C, and what I found is that silver really isn't the best metal to add to prevent tin pest from occuring. Even then it needs to be at levels greater than 5% to be effective. See:

http://www.indium.com/images/blogs/drlasky/files/TinPestPaper0723Final.pdf

I wonder why they chose Sn96Ag4 solder to make the solder connections?

Steve