TECHNET Archives

November 2009

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:35:07 -0600
No arguments here.  If I lose the battle to keep them in the lavatories,
the best alternative might be at the entrance to the manufacturing cell,
away from ESD items, but still close enough for use.

Doug Pauls

Gene Felder <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
11/10/2009 11:22 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Sanitizer and Lotion Paper

Regarding "whether those great big plastic dispenser jugs constitute an
ESD
hazard."

"In order to mitigate field-induced CDM [Charged Device Model] damage, the
ESD program shall include a plan for the handling of process-required
insulators. If the field exceeds 2,000 volts/inch, steps shall be taken to
either:
A) Separate the insulator from the ESD-sensitive device by a distance of
30
cm (12 inches);
or
B) Use ionization or other charge mitigating techniques to neutralize the
charge."
[ANSI/ESD S20.20-2007 section 8.3]

To keep 12 inches from ESDS at all times, it would be better for the
dispensers to be in the lavatories or mounted on a wall in the ESD
protected
area, rather then be placed on the ESD workstation.

Gene Felder