TECHNET Archives

October 2009

From:
Bob Willis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bob Willis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:59:11 +0100
This sounds like the same problem I was asked about last week in the UK??

Yes filled vias can outgas through the plating and I normally test them
using my standard oil outgassing test and happy do so on a sample. If you
have poor quality via fill or excessive dips due to poor planarization you
can also get large voids and corresponding variation in ball size seen on
x-ray with out the gassing.

As has been stated look at the via size being used and prove it out with a
microsection and also CT if you are going to cut the board up?

If you want to still use the board assembly stick with the outgassing test.

There are some other process things that can be done.

Bob Willis
2 Fourth Ave, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 4HA England
Tel: (44) 1245 351502
Fax: (44) 1245 496123
Mobile: 07860 775858
www.ASKbobwillis.com
www.SolderingStandards.com
New Package on Package Workshops 24th November
www.ASKbobwillis.com/PoPWorkshops.pdf
PCB Inspection & Quality Control Workshop 3rd November
www.ASKbobwillis.com/faworkshops.pdf
Book Bob's "Step by Step Failure Analysis
Workshop"4th November  www.ASKbobwillis.com/faworkshops.pdf