TECHNET Archives

October 2009

From:
Rex Waygood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Rex Waygood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 17:24:43 +0100
Step one is to put a rework flux under the BGA and then reflow using a
PDR IR rework station.
If that doesn't cure it then we remove the device, check the pads and
replace with new.
We only reuse devices when expensive or rare and we send out for laser
reballing as that doesn't use a 'life'.
We purchased the machine as we had a big contract where it was a
contractural requirement to x-ray every bga and qfn and store all
results, and work to the requirements for voids in IPC610 d. The machine
was paid for in 30 days!!!!
We use the x-ray machine to verify processes, we hardly see any voiding
any where near the limit in IPC610, and I don't think voiding is
anything like the problem its air time might indicate.
We do put down some power pad devices and x-ray is the only tool for
confirming the heat will be removed.
We do not use it for 100% inspection for BGAs any more, it is only used
for process confirmation.
Regards
Rex