TECHNET Archives

October 2009

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:28:10 +0100
I think Brian is the real source of knowledge here. Iono chrom or SIR or
ROSE or whatever you name the common two methods have some disadvantage:
takes time. Furthermore, if you solve some  concentration of Na ions (used
as base reference) from some part of the board, what do you get out of that?
And the ug levels are arbitrarily set, more or less. We prefer a more
practical way, not superseding the two above, but most of the time good
enough for daily checking. The first one is simply illumination with purple
light, inspection done under stereo microscope in total darkness. Organic
veils and particles like glue residues, flux, fingerprints, fat and other
unwanted debris lights up even being as small as micron sized.  It takes
just minutes to overlook a board. Another method is to provoke possible
dangerous debris, whatever ion kind, simply by biasing a board in a humidity
box and at elevated temperature, followed by visual inspection. This kind of
test reveals real contaminations that could be a serious issue when operated
by the customer. Even the tinest little migration can be seen with a good
set of microscopes and with variable beam colour. Neither of the described
methods can be refered to any standards or other papers, and neither can be
put in the hands of whom else.  However, if you are happy enough to have a
sharpeyed and experienced analyst at hand, you can do some very handy, fast
and cheap inspections on sample basis. I don't say that the described
methods are better nor that they correspond to ROSE/SIR, they just let you
see the issues with your own eyes instead of scratching head about
micrograms of this and that.
Gaggyman or Metusalem or Professor Calcule  (they have many names on me, the
striplings at my work)
/Inge