TECHNET Archives

October 2009

From:
Blair Hogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Blair Hogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:39:51 -0500
A ROSE by any other name would smell as sweet, right SIR?

Happy Friday, Technetters! As you may have guessed, I've spent a bit of time
over the last few days looking over cleanliness testing specs, searching
through the archives and what not to get more information on the different
types of testing. Now it is time to visit the well of knowledge and see if the
Technet gurus can help me along the road to cleanliness enlightenment.

From what I understand, the ROSE test measure the change in resisitivity /
conductivity of a test solvent solution (75% IPA / 25% DI Water) that is
rinsed over a board / assembly. This will detect contaminants and provide a
relative level of the contamination. However, it will only detect those
contaminants that are ionic in nature or will affect the resistivity (is that
redundant?). The results are near immediate.

The SIR test measures the insulation resisitance change that occurs when an
assembly is exposed to humidity and voltage, and thus has the capability of
detcting the presence of contaminants that may not be ionic, but can cause
corrision and / or dendrites to grow. The drawback is that the samples must
be exposed to controlled humidity / temperature for a priod of time.

Does that sound right? Am I missing anything?

Are there any other options?

Thanks,

Blair