TECHNET Archives

October 2009

From:
"Wenger, George M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wenger, George M.
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:21:55 -0500
Charming,

I ditto Dave's answer.

In my previous telecommunications company we shipped lots of telecommunication products with immersion silver surface finish and for the past 10 years our primary surface finish for wireless communications products is immersion silvers.  These products are deployed all over the world in many harsh environments and we have not had any issues associated with immersion silver corrosion or migration.  We've also provided amplifiers with immersion silver surface finish to a customer to be put into a base station and for the base station subjected to Battelle MFG testing.  The base station had issues but our amplifiers did not.

Besides base station electronics many of our products are tower mounted electronics they do have immersion silver surface finish PCBA's without conformal coating.  With the introduction of sophisticated hand held mobile devices (e.g., iphones and Blackberry's)the telecommunications operators around the world are being forced to do better utilization of bandwidth and they are having to deploy much more sophisticated electronics not in base stations but at the tops of towers and they are all worried about survivability and reliability of the electronics.  While 96 hr and 14 day salt fog testing of outdoor products has typically been used to determine the effect of harsh outdoor environments, many of the telecommunication operators have been specifying 30 day salt fog testing.  We're routinely using 30 day salt fog testing as part of our product qualification program and haven't seen any issues with our products that use immersion silver surface finish on PCBA's.

Regards,
George
George M. Wenger
Andrew Solutions
Senior Principal FMA/Reliability Engineer
40 Technology Drive, Warren, NJ 07059
(908) 546-4531 (Office) (732) 309-8964 (cell)