TECHNET Archives

October 2009

From:
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 06:22:05 -0500
Hi, Dave,

Werner is correct, 0402 chip capacitors and resistors are easily cracked and often go undetected if they are hand soldered. I would suggest you buy a Hakko FR1012B infrared preheater and a Hakko 802 hot air wand. This combination costs just $2500 (and you get a third item free!), and is the most useful and versatile system for quickly soldering chip caps and resistors, small QFNs, belly pad components, glass-bodied SMT diodes, and similar components. Using a hot air wand to perform rework and manual soldering works like downtown, instructions are in IPC 7711/7721 section 5.3.1. And, as Dave Hillman of Rockwell pointed out in this forum recently, the Hakko system can be used for many other things, such as underfill cure, etc. I most recently used our system to perform BGA reballing in a somewhat exotic process, and it worked beautifully.

Until then, open up IPC 7711/7721 and carefully read the steps listed in section 5.3.2, where it shows how to safely hand solder ceramic chip caps and resistors by first applying a small amount of solder to one pad. You then place the chip carefully and touch ONLY THE PAD, NOT THE PART with the solder iron, thus reflowing the solder on one end. You then apply the iron to the other PAD and add a little solder.

Do not use tweezer style irons to solder chip caps and resistors. These are intended only for removal of parts to be replaced.

Do not use U-shaped tips to solder chip caps and resistors. These are also intended only for removal of parts to be replaced.

Both of the above methods, as well as touching these types of a component directly with an iron tip will crack the parts.

If you cannot trust the operators to never touch a part with the iron tip, then buy the Hakko and force them to learn to use it. Once they know how, they will never go back.