TECHNET Archives

October 2009

From:
Aleks Lozinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Aleks Lozinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:30:19 -0400
Hi Werner,

I see ENIG from supplier side and it seems that reaction on this process
depend on complexity of the board (geometrical and electrical). There is a
niche where everybody happy (or we can make them happy) - PCB manufacturers
and PCB assemblers. When you push envelope too far a lots of irritation
rises often from both sides. Its like changing plating hole diameter from 18
mil to 12 mil - no problem, from 12 to 8 mil (HAR) some times almost
revolution required in PCB shop.
EPd is a good idea and process, but it is additional control step in
manufacturing chain which usually effect general reliability. I believe when
ENIG or ENIPIG possibilities are exhausted one step finish should be used -
OSP,Tin,Silver,gold whatever and ENIG selectively if needed.
Regards

Aleks Lozinsky