TECHNET Archives

October 2009

From:
Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 2009 23:59:34 -0400
 Vladimir,
Indeed you sent me that ATOTECH paper, but I have several references that disagree with their definition, as well as others that agree with the Atotech paper.
There seem to be (at least) 2 different 'defects' at work—one with hyper-galvanic corrosion of the Ni during Au-plating causing soldering problems, and another causing brittle separation due to a weakened interface cause by too much P.
Are we in agreement on this?
I do not really care what you call either of them—clearly the root cause is different in these cases and so is what needs to be done.
Clearly, what we need is for the IPC to form a committee to provide proper definitions and 'names.'
Werner