TGASIA Archives

October 2009

TGAsia@IPC.ORG

Asia Committe Task Group Forum <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:07:09 +0800
Hi Charles + Ma

The reason changing soldermask is generally undesirable is:

1. May have big cost impact

2. May cause delays since it is a permanent insulating material and may require product requalification.

3. Some OEMs are very picky about cosmetic appreance and strictly standardize the BOM for any PN or all PN.

So I suggest you test other fluxes and tuning the process first since it is more flexible and less time-consuming. Your solder and flux material suppliers may be familliar with the soldermask used and capable to make suggestions if you can identify the type.

Regards

C.B. Katzko
Research + Development
Meadville Group