LEADFREE Archives

October 2009

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"James, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:40:25 +0100

From: James Calder Intertek [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

Sent: 13 October 2009 14:33

To: (Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum); Steve Gregory; James, Chris

Subject: RE: [LF] Canada bans rosin flux

Hi Steve and Chris,

Feel free to forward on to the rest of the forum as for some reason I have had problems sending messages through.

This part of the Challenge does not constitute any kind of substance ban, by itself or in a finished product.  It is an information gathering exercise powered by CEPA 1999 "CEPA (1999) paragraph 71(1)(b)Notice with respect to Batch 10 Challenge substances"to be submitted by industry if they meet the threshold.

	(a) during the 2006 calendar year, manufactured or imported a total 	quantity greater than 100 kg of a substance listed in section 1 of 	Schedule 1 to this notice, whether alone, in a mixture, in a product 	or in a manufactured item; or

	(b) during the 2006 calendar year, used a total quantity greater than 	1 000 kg of a substance listed in section 1 of Schedule 1 to this 	notice, whether alone, in a mixture, in a product or in a manufactured 	item, at any concentration.

After this information gathering exercise, the Ministry of Environment will review information submitted by each substance to determine if they meet the criteria for further regulation.  This next process will include a consultation that will allow industry to submit concerns (request for exemptions).

Feel free to call them up as they are always open to discussion but the Pittsburgh Penguins thoroughly beat the Ottawa Senators last night so maybe they will not be in the best of moods :)

James Calder

Manager – Global Services

Intertek

Tel: 613.599.3166 ext 2229

Cell: 613.601.5271

Fax: 613.599.6626

Email: [log in to unmask]

 ”Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail"

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This email may contain confidential or privileged information, if you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, then please notify us by return email immediately. Should you have received this email in error then you should not copy this for any purpose nor disclose its contents to any other person.

www.intertek.com