TECHNET Archives

September 2009

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2009 13:50:09 -0400
Steve,

  You asked if ODB++ was dead. I would ask was it every really alive?

  I have written a lot of EDA to machine code and I have looked at ODB++,
CADCAM, Offspring, .... and I have some thoughts.

  All these high level CADCAM files are really designed as data exchange
formats. In addition to the raw image data then include layer, BOM,
supplier, tons of stuff. It has been my experience that very few engineering
departments have the degree data organization required to populate a ODB++
file beyond the image info. Using ODB++ or other advanced formats in this
manner offers little over RS-274X. Including a net list for board test is
about all I can think of that would be a serious help.

  I wrote a reader for RS-274D and X and I have processed a good number of
these files. The quality of most RS-274 generators (PCB CAD Tools) is not
encouraging. Suppliers seem to provide quick and dirty RS-274 output and I
can not see them supporting high level outputs. As proof I suggest you ask
PCB CAD Tool User is their tool produces "Perfect Gerbers" all the time.

  The other issue is protecting design information. Since gerber files are
void of higher level design data sending your files in gerber format protect
company IP.

Thanks,
Bob Kondner