TECHNET Archives

September 2009

From:
"Wenger, George M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wenger, George M.
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2009 08:54:28 -0400
The first thing I would do is an XRF meas

Leif Erik,

The first thing I would do is an XRF measurement on the leads of the

flash TSOP components to determine what the surface finish is.  From

your comment about non-wetting and the best so far was with "water

soluble" seems to suggest that the flash TSOP have exposed IMC that has

oxidized and when that happens the oxidized IMC isn't solderable with

the typical fluxes used for electronic assembly.  If that is the case

you might have to pre-tin the TSOP leads with an extremely aggressive

flux and then wash off the aggressive flux residue before soldering them

to your PCBA

Regards,

George

George M. Wenger

Andrew Solutions

Senior Principal FMA/Reliability Engineer

40 Technology Drive, Warren, NJ 07059

(908) 546-4531 (Office) (732) 309-8964 (cell)