TECHNET Archives

September 2009

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 2009 15:03:55 -0400
Doug,
Well, welcome to the wonderful world of REACH.  It is going to be fun, fun,
fun!  I think one of our TechNet/LeadNet/ComplianceNet wags called it "RoHS
on steroids".

We should probably be having this discussion on Compliance Net (sign up!),
but there are some things in this that probably a wider audience should
know, so I will keep my answer here.

You b" question was:
"Do you know if Teflon contains any of the current substances of very
high concern (SVHCs)?"
The best answer is Rudy's - the Doug Paul's patented "it depends".  However
if we are talking Teflon with no colorants, no fiber/particle reinforcement,
no additives, then NO, there are no SVHCs in Teflon.

Teflon is polytetrafluoroethylene, which is made by polymerizing
tetrafluoroethylene (TFE).  Its invention by Ray Plunkett in the 1930s was
one of those serendipitous "inventions", pretty neat actually.  Anyways, I
digress.  It doesn't take much to polymerize TFE. Plunkett had it happen in
metal cans at dry ice temperatures by accident, with nothing else
intentionally added.

So my guess is that the sort of things that could potentially be in Teflon
as initially made would be:
TFE bp = -76.3 C
HF bp = 19.5 C
HCl bp = -85.06 C
These materials are therefore very volatile. We are not talking about
polymer precursors with molecular weights in the hundreds of grams per mole.
Therefore I contend in Teflon as made, not mixed with other materials, there
will be no impurities of any significant quantities, from any environmental
level of concern.  But even if there were the possible impurities I mention
above or other probable one, are they SVHCs, either old ones or new ones?
Let's look at the whole list:

	"OLD" List
1	Diarsenic pentaoxide
2	Diarsenic trioxide
3	Lead hydrogen arsenate
4	Cobalt dichloride
5	Sodium dichromate

6	Triethyl arsenate
7	Bis(tributyltin)oxide (TBTO)

8	Anthracene
9	5-tert-butyl-2,4,6-trinitro-m-xylene (musk xylene)
10	4,4'- Diaminodiphenylmethane (MDA)

11	Hexabromocyclododecane (HBCDD) & all major diastereoisomers
identified
12	Alkanes, C10-13, chloro (Short Chain Chlorinated Paraffins)

13	Bis (2-ethylhexyl)phthalate (DEHP)
14	Benzyl butyl phthalate (BBP)
15	Dibutyl phthalate (DBP)
	New Proposed List
16	Anthracene oil
17	Anthracene oil, anthracene paste, distn. Lights
18	Anthracene oil, anthracene paste, anthracene fraction
19	Anthracene oil, anthracene-low
20	Anthracene oil, anthracene paste
21	Coal tar pitch, high temperature

22	Lead chromate
23	Lead chromate molybdate sulphate red
24	Lead sulfochromate yellow

25	Aluminosilicate, refractory ceramic fibers
26	Zirconia Aluminosilicate, refractory ceramic fibers

27	Acrylamide
28	2,4-Dinitrotoluene

29	Diisobutyl phthalate

30	Tris(2-chloroethyl)phosphate

I can't conceive of ANY of these 30 being in the feedstock to make Teflon.

If I assume most of you are making electronic "articles" and not basic
chemicals or intermediates, then most of the old list is of little concern
to us.

1& 2 might be used as sources of As for eventually making GaAs, but they
would certainly not be in the final product.
3 & % are already covered by RoHS
4 It will be interesting how our suppliers that make moisture indicator
cards deal with this one.
6  & 7 as far as I can tell are biocides.  The "supporting documentation"
link says TBTO can be used for making electronics.  Any comments?
8 coal
9 perfume?
10 polymer intermediate
11 flame retardant, but Teflon by its very nature does not need any added
flame retardant.  Some concern in the bigger electronic picture.
12 Your feedstock would have to be pretty crappy to have enough halogenated
material to end up with any of these in the Teflon.
13-15 BIG question: are Teflon-coated wires supple enough that they don't
need phthalates added as is required for PVC?  Some people tell me the only
reason the phthalates made it on the list is that one of more NGOs couldn't
make a powerful enough straight run at PVC so they are going after the
phthalates (added to PVC in 20-55% weight % amounts) as an end run.

New List
16-21 Polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) Fused benzene rings have increasing
levels of carcinogenicity as the number of rings climb.  Your customers may
start asking about this before the list is solidified.
22-24 already covered by RoHS
25-26 Now these could be in Teflon, although I doubt it.  This could get
interesting.
27 & 28 more polymer intermediates
29 Same comment as for 13-15
30 Don't know anything about this one yet.  Give me the rest of the holiday
weekend.

Well there goes 90 minutes of my long weekend, but, hey, it was fun.  Hope
this helps some.  It would be appreciated if anyone can fill in some of the
holes I left.

Bev
RIM