TECHNET Archives

September 2009

From:
Donald Vischulis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donald Vischulis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 2009 18:04:53 -0500
Paul,

I don't have a site for the tin lead specification.  The usual commercial thickness was usually specified at 300 microinches minimum, sometimes 500 or thicker.  Plated coatings thicker than 500 the  microinch minimum could lead to processing challenges.  Coatings less than 300 microinches could present reflow challenges.  Tin lead was used as an etch resist, but it was also the final finish.  High level process flow: Pattern plate tin/lead, strip resist, etch, flux and reflow, solder mask, legend, etc.  The fused tin/lead (solder after melting) served as both an etch resist and a final finish.    It was used as a final finish before HASL.  Additional complications came from requirements for Nickel/gold tab plating.  Etchant control and selection was also a consideration.

Ah, sometimes I miss the smell of peptone and fluorborate.

Don Vischulis