TECHNET Archives

September 2009

From:
"Wolfe, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wolfe, Robert
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:05:18 -0400
Barb,
Well all the major players will break the bank especially Oracle (way too much customization required)
But between the 3 top guys Oracle SAP & CA
Oracle itself does not do Engineering Documentation well at all
it is actually horrible without major major customization (big bucks)
and then you will need to deal with any updates & will these customizations still work after an update to Oracle.
If you use Oracle you really need Agile too if you want to do Eng Doc nicely.
I guess Oracle finally figured that out & bought them, but we didn't spend the money on that.
When I saw Oracle here it has the same issues I saw 10 years ago
Basically no improvements to doing documentation or even using the tool.

We found SAP did actually do a pretty decent job with documentation
without major customization. SAP lets you customize the look and workflow
for each job function without it being a customization so you are able use the system more like
you would want to. So Engineering Documentation can be done decently.

CA was a distant 3rd but was not too bad either.

Sorry I don't have any experience with any of the small lower cost options out there,
But really cheap approach I suppose a full blown version of Quicken Quick Books along with Parts & Vendors could do the trick too. A smaller company I used to be involved in did use Parts & Vendors and found
it worked quite well.

Bob