TECHNET Archives

September 2009

From:
Peter Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Peter Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:28:00 +0100
John,

Many thanks for your reply, I appreciate your input.

Yes - we know why the soldering is patchy from our lab report. What I was trying to ascertain is when this is encountered are there certain plating conditions or if the plating was poorly controlled could this result in what appears to be a good finish when measured using XRF being intolerant of quite benign heating cycles.

My real problem I suppose is that the PCB's are reputed to have 1uM Sn as plated by the PCB manufacturer and from various papers I have read from chemistry manufacturers and others, this should be more than sufficient to survive 2 non RoHS reflow cycles and this is not the case. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t, sometimes 1 PCB in a 2 up panel that is OK and the other may not, this indicates to me significant variation in the solderability. They have both been through the same immersion plating process so ostensibly they should have the same.

Best rgds,

Peter Barton
Senior Process Engineer
ACW Technology Ltd