TECHNET Archives

September 2009

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 13:57:13 -0500
Hi Richard!  We have the FR1012 preheater to be extremely useful - very
adaptable, rugged and can be used for a wide array of preheating
challenges (works really well in the underfill processes). No more burning
your hands/wrists on the edges of a hot plate.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
09/03/2009 12:32 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Hakko FR-802

We have a customer who does not allow a solder iron to touch any leadless
ceramic chip capacitor, resistor, glass-bodied diode, etc. (for very good
reasons). To facilitate rework or touchup of these components, we just
purchased an Hakko FR-802 Digital hot air rework station and, more
importantly, the Hakko FR-1012B infrared pre-heater system. This
combination allows us to easily rework any component  on any CCA, no
matter how massive. Although we do have two Airvac DRS24 stations and
other rework stations, we really like the Hakko system for quick and easy
manual hot gas rework of smaller components. The pre-heater is fantastic,
it easily heats any CCA and makes the rework simple and easy, even for
massive metal-clad CCAs.
The preheater has a built in CCA holder and it operates with a
thermocouple taped to the PWB to bring the CCA temp up to a pre-set
temperature, then shuts off and idles to hold the PWB at just that
temperature, +-3 deg. C. We never increase the heat setting on the wand,
if we need more heat we just bump up the pre-heater by 10 degrees or so.
All of our rework can be done with the pre-heater set to between 90 to 120
deg. C.
Fantastic system, much better than the others I evaluated. Be sure to get
the pre-heater, it really makes all the difference in the world. Get the
1012B, not the 1012, as the B model allows you to turn on or off any of
the four quadrants of the IR pre-heater.
Can't say enough good things about it.