TECHNET Archives

September 2009

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:54:59 -0500
Thank you Rudy.  Yes, I am aware of much of what you say, and agree with
you, especially the "it depends" part.  Yes, going back and trying to
interpret the REACH legislation is a nightmare.  The real unpleasent
reality is that if a compound contains an SVHC, it is the kiss of death
and whether it is there in significant amounts seems to be irrelevant. All
the customer sees from a reporting standpoint is that this product
contains an SVHC. Never mind that it is at 0.0000000000000000000001% by
weight.  Never mind that it will never get out of the product.  The
customer, in their drive to appear green at all costs, is sure to reacte
negatively.  I hate this legislative crap.....

Doug Pauls

R Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>
09/02/2009 03:54 PM

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Teflon and SVHCs

Doug:
My 2.5 cents...

First, do be aware that many polymeric materials come blended with all
manner of ingredients, from pigments, to fillers, to reinforcing
materials, and this will vary with supplier.   Our myriad experiences with
trying to find if a particular material is tolerant to one of our
chemicals is proof to this...  the answer is always "it depends".

Second, as a pure, unblended material, and PTFE usually qualifies for
this, no polymeric material has any SVHC, IN SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS.   Most
will have trace of unreacted monomers, which are probably a SVHC, but
levels present are considered trivial, unless of course, you are from the
EU :-)

Hope this helps.
Rudy Sedlak