TECHNET Archives

September 2009

From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:08:52 -0500
1. The Tg level is redundant to moisture content or rate of adsorption/drying. In fact, many high Tg boards seem to be 	more susceptible to high levels of internal moisture adsorption and can delaminate just as easily as low-Tg  	materials.

2. Not all FR-4 is manufactured the same way. One fabricator may use laminate from many providers, each of which may 	manufacture the laminate using different processes. They must all meet the requirements of IPC-4101B slash sheets 	only. There is no guarantee that they will not delaminate easily even if they do meet the requirements.

3. Because there is no classification of PWBs as MSDs (yet), most EMS houses may provide widely varying levels of PWB 	packaging requirements, and widely varying levels of packaging, handling, and storage methods. My experience with 	this has been that most EMS providers have an awareness, and attempt to ensure the proper packaging, handling, and 	storage methods are followed, but it is typically driven by their customers. The EMS quality department is where 	the task belongs, but most are not at all familiar with MSD practices per J-STD-033 for components, let alone 	handling, storage, and packaging requirementsfor PWBs.