TECHNET Archives

August 2009

From:
Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:18:51 -0700
As described by others plating defects can cause the solder void.
However a more common problem we see is failure of the uVia to wet
out.  I've got pics of both conditions going back years now.

This due to a final shape of an otherwise well formed and plated
uVia. The via needs to wet out. If it doesn't wet, the air will be
held in by the surface tension of the liquidus solder. The temp will
finally rise enough for the air pressure to overcome the surface
tension. That's when the solder ball expands and forms a bridge to an
adjacent ball.

In order to wet out consistently, the uVia final shape should be a
bit more open at the top than at the bottom.  If the via sidewalls
are too near vertical or if the plating has a cornice where plating
closed down narrower at the knee of the via it will cause
voiding.  The liquid solder forms a meniscus that hangs up on the
knee of plating.

Simple fix?  Specify solder copper filled uVias in
outerlayers.  Tougher fix? Agree on an acceptability spec with your
suppliers for final uVia shape. Many of the top tier high volume
offshore uVia fabs already have a uVia shape standard that's been
applied to them by a large OEM or two (:-)) who've gone before you.