TECHNET Archives

August 2009

From:
Brian Stumm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Stumm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 12:04:28 -0700
I sent this to Inge offlist because I was worried it would come across
as a sales pitch but since it goes along with what Gregg said I
decided to share. I cannot provide any experience for the
applications/spray side of conformal coatings but have *some*
experience on the curing side.

I've seen airflow from curing systems introduce bubbles in coatings.
I've also seen ovens that skin the coating on the outside trapping
solvent below the surface that later off-gases and bubbles and
sometimes blisters. These are usually much larger bubbles though. I
don't want this to sound like an advertisement (since we manufacture
ovens) but we build separate products for curing that use infrared
heaters and very low airflow whereas our reflow systems are
convection. Just recently I was on-site at a customer that was mixing
the coating very runny (3 parts solvent to one part coating compared
to recommended 1.5 to 1 ratio) and even the low flow rate of supply
air into the oven was causing the coating to flow which resulted in
uneven coating thickness and very tiny bubbles in the cured coating.
At least the customer believed the oven caused it. They used a robotic
spray cell which used compressed air to pressurize the 2 pots. After
reducing the airflow rate of the oven and switching to N2 instead of
compressed air the bubbles went away. Both changes were made at the
same time so I do not know for sure which was the culprit.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Temkin,
Gregg<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> To continue with Brian's track, it's common with heavily solvent loaded conformal coatings (spray processes materials are often thinned with additional amounts of solvent) to see bubbling if the solvent if its not allowed to evaporate out of the coating prior to the outer surface curing curing.  Excessive applied thickness will also promote bubbles.  The sprayed boards should be allowed to sit and reach a handling cure before being heat cured.
>
> Gregg

>>> matte. Microscope photos show thousands of microscopic bubbles in the
>>> coating. I suspect that it's included driving gas. Or wrong handling the
>>> spray can.Anyone out there with experience? How do you avoid this
>>> problem?
>>> /Inge
>>> the BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF Technet
>>> To temporarily halt or (re-start) delivery of Technet send e-mail to
>>> [log in to unmask]: SET Technet NOMAIL or (MAIL)
>>> To receive ONE mailing per day of all the posts: send e-mail to
>>> [log in to unmask]: SET Technet Digest
>>> Search the archives of previous posts at:
>>> http://listserv.ipc.org/archives
>>> Please visit IPC web site
>>> http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?Pageid=4.3.16
>>> for additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask]
>>> or