TECHNET Archives

August 2009

From:
R Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, R Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 2009 00:44:52 -0700
I have long felt that control by titration is not sensitive enough.   Someone else suggested checking pH, an excellent idea.   Alkaline solutions can (and do) absorb carbon dioxide, and the pH is lowered, yet, they may titrate the same.
This is quite possibly the mechanism of your problem.   I would recommend never dumping the whole bath, but dumping only 50% of it, and making up the rest fresh.  This will maintain your carbonate buffer, and prevent the problem from recurring.
Rudy Sedlak
RD Chemical Company