TECHNET Archives

August 2009

From:
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:15:21 -0500
I do, every night until the early hours of the morning. It is what I do
as a consultant, both the die layout and process and the CCA layout and
process.
There are a lot of companies in the upper Midwest that use flipchips and
chipscale packages. I noted that in certain parts of the U.S. it is used
much more than other parts of the country for some reason. It has to do
with where the design hubs are. Motorola does a lot of flipchip design
for the phones. Seagate does a lot of FC for the drives. Medtronics and
Boston Scientific are doing a lot of FC development for implantable
medical devices. So on and so forth.
Not too many companies in the U.S. that have the capability for FC
assembly, however. I can count them on one hand. Nearly all of the
design work I do includes some prototyping up to pre-production, and the
production is nearly always done overseas. Which I guess is true for a
lot of product.