TECHNET Archives

August 2009

From:
"G. Sala" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, G. Sala
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:00:21 -0500
IBM  CCGA great technology

CCGA  (an old IBM Guide but very interesting)
https://www-01.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/630AFA7BD7DE3FED87256C0100558D50/$file/ccga.pdf

The largest CCGA size I worked on, produced by IBM Microelectronic, was
52.5mm X 52.5 mm with 2577 Columns, 1.00 mm column pitch. Four of them on a
Boar, plus other smaller CBGA always IBM made plus other SMDs.
PCB surface finiscing OSP

IBM Column 90/10 attachment/bonding to Ceramic Body:

- Wire type  bonded by 63/37(earliest gen)
- Cast type (expensive solution)
- CLASP  bonded by (63/37 doped alloy) last gen, cheaper then Cast type

According to me CCGA is still considered a strategic package for IBM, even
largest then 52.5 x 52.5 mm

They are ready also with CuCGA  (Copper Column Grid Array)

http://www.me.binghamton.edu/O.M.R.L/ECTC.pdf

Rework and Replace Large CCGA, requires attention but once the process is
qualified, it is very affordable to do.

Also CCGA  re-Colum  process is not so difficult once you qualified it.

Regards

G. Sala