TECHNET Archives

July 2009

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:02:44 +0300
In my former lives, last century, I always cross-hatched, especially on
inner layers. Never any problem with imbalance, better adhesion of
solder mask, less risk of delamination etc. I still applied thermal
breaks etc. The CAD package I used gave free choice of width/space
dimensions. Testing of characteristic impedance over cross hatching
revealed absolutely no difference or reflections (thickness of
dielectric in our case ~0.3 mm), provided the space between the hatches
was less than the dielectric thickness.

Another point I found is that a client had massive solid planes with 105
µm copper on inner layers for a power application (hairy at best!!!).
During pressing, he tended to have resin starvation, as it flowed to
fill where there was no plane. He changed to a low-flow resin and didn't
have enough in the non-plane areas. I advised cross-hatching with 5 mm
width/space: no further problem and he still had enough copper to pass
the curremt.

IMHO, it has everything going for it and nothing against it.

Brian